Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Wrinkled Wednesday

I feel like life is a little wrinkled right now. Things aren't awful just a little imperfect. I think I'm getting my new boss around mid July. I'm not sure how I feel about this yet, its really too soon to know. I won't be meeting her before hand so its hard to get a feel for what her style is. I just changed my hours at work to 7:30-4 and this has been awesome with the kids. We are able to get home by 5 and have a nice dinner like a real grown-up family. When we were getting home before dinner was always so rushed. Now if I could win the lotto and not work at all I'd be set! LOL

I have been having some really bad days lately. I got into an argument with a co-worker who is a friend yesterday and I wound up crying-twice. Mainly because I was so angry. We are fine now and the issue is over but I hate that it even started. Draz talked yesterday about fitting in with your family, I don't feel like I fit in at work. Its hard to spend 8hrs a day here. My current boss doesn't really let me help with things unless they are crap jobs like photocopying. I've had the conversation with her several times, I've reached out across the network to other administrative assistants (we are a national company) to get their advice and ask what their daily list looks like and have taken ideas back to my boss, but she won't budge. She says she just doesn't have anything to give me. So I get stuck with all the stuff no one wants to do. And I know that I am capable of more than that.

I also don't have the same background as everyone here. They are all college educated and PHD's. I'm more of a learn on the job girl-street smarts etc. I think in a way they look down on me for that. No job will ever be perfect, and I think that I've dealt with jerks at every job I've had, but this is really the one time I've never really felt part of the team. Maybe this will change with the new boss coming in. I've tried applying for some jobs outside the company but we all know what the market is like and I haven't heard anything from any of them. I think its just bringing me down. As much I would like to be guarded, I wear my feelings.

On a high note, I have been sticking to my goals so far and have done pretty well with my eating. I have had a cupcake and that pesky twix bar but the scale said 198.4 today so I'm happy about that. I almost did a vlog last night, but I had a glass of wine and was a little buzzed.

As always thanks for letting me vent. I appreciate the outlet.

7 comments:

  1. You can vent anytime. Its so draining when work is uninspiring. And its hard to stay focused on being good when you are bored. Well done though the scales seem to say you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is too short to spend 1/3 of your time at a crappy job. If things don't improve with the new boss, maybe it is time to move on. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehehe...drunk vlogging is the best! =)

    I'm sorry your work situation sucks right - I was in a similar boat, I don't have a degree and I started in clerical here and it's taken six years to get as high as I've gotten, and I still feel I'm stuck under this glass ceiling. All the partners are old school so the fact that I'm a chick and I don't have an accounting degree is definitely holding me back. So I sympathize with you entirely.

    I think the fact that you're getting a new boss is a good thing, remember how important first impressions are! You'll get a fresh start and you can show her how capable and ambitious you are. Let her know right on the spot that you're more than just the photocopy girl and you want a challenge. Most bosses will be thrilled with that kind of assertiveness!

    Good luck and keep us posted! And congrats on sticking to your goals! I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do a buzzed vlog... they're the best!

    I like your "wrinkled" analogy, it's a very positive way to describe how life is sometimes.

    I am so sorry about your job. It speaks volumes about your management that they are not utilizing their employees to the fullest potential. PhD or not, that's just bad business sense.

    I may be a little biased, but I think it's safe to assume you're not the problem there.

    YAY 198. You are doing well... cupcake and twix included...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liking your job is important. Wait and see what happens with the new boss but if things don't improve, I'd definitely start researching your options. Definitely don't give this job up until you've got another in place...because things still are very tight out there/here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh - stupid stupid bosses - why can't they see what they have in you? Hang in there sweet thang...and way to go on sticking to your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope the new boss works out for the best. When I came back from my first maternity leave, I had a new boss, and I was very worried. It turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me there. I wish the same for you!

    ReplyDelete