Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Day 3-

I wanted to give an update on how the surgery went. My doctor was a little late on Monday starting the surgery so that was a little nerve racking. The cute little nurse (you know the kind you can't dislike because they're really nice) gave me my cocktail. I started to feel it pretty fast. Everything seemed a little fuzzy. I remember being wheeled into the operating room but I was out pretty quick. I remember being in recovering and waking up, but some nurse yelled at me for moaning. Apparently I was a risk for disturbing others. I didn't even know that I was doing it. Sometimes the nurses are great and then sometimes you get one like that.

I don't really remember anything else from Monday. I know I woke up in my room and my husband and some family were there but I was really in and out. Monday night wasn't so hot. I was really frustrated with myself because I couldn't walk around until about 2am. I was so shaky and I kept getting that clammy sweat. The kind you get when you drank to much.

Last night was a little bit better, but when I woke up at 4 I was in a lot of pain. I think I'm going to have to sleep on the couch because laying flat on my back wasn't helping. Oh, and I had a hernia that they repaired so the surgery took longer than planned. I haven't eaten much, I'm trying to get my water and protein shakes in but its hard when you aren't hungry.

So for now I'm still in some pain, I don't really like to take the pain meds so I'm trying to go without it. My DH is being great and very helpful with the kids. They ask every 5 seconds to see my boo-boos. They're fascinated. lol.

Thanks for all the support guys! I'm trying to catch up on the blogs that I've missed!



    Hope you're doing better today...remember the post-op mantra; 'walk, walk, walk, and sip, sip, sip'! Hydration is the main thing to focus on now as you heal.

    Remember this 'no hunger' because you'll be getting it back with restriction. Sounds like everything went well (stupid Doc, being you don't have enough stress!).

    Keep close watch on the pain...just be aware it can ramp up and it's then hard to catch up if you need the meds.

    I'm SOOOO excited for you! Now it's your turn to keep sharing as a Bander for the newbies.

    Oh, and the Vlog was look tiny already!!!

    Rest up and feel better soon!

  2. I second Band Groupie, walk walk walk - sip sip sip.

    The first few days it was really hard to get in my water but just always have water with you and you'll keep yourself hydrated.

    When I came home from the hospital, I had to prop myself way up with pillows so I could lay in bed. I agree though, sleeping on the couch was much more comfortable for the first few days.

  3. YAHOO! I'm so glad you are through it and back home. Every day is a little better.

  4. Just take it easy ....I am so excited for you on your journey ...

  5. I hope everyday get's a little bit easier for you.. :0) And I plan on camping out on my couch after surgery too ..

  6. Don't be afraid of the pain meds. If you are in pain, your energy is being used up by that pain. Use the pain meds so that your energy can be used for healing.

    I am so glad you are on the other side! I am so happy for you!

    I saw your vlog last night and couldn't believe that was you. Didn't look anything at all like your profile pic. Cute vlog - I look forward to more!!!

  7. Congrats! Rest and heal, it really does get better each day!

  8. Congratulations! So sorry you're in so much pain...I've heard it's a little worse when they have to do a hernia repair. Hang in there. Sending good recovery thoughts your way.

  9. The nurse yelling at you for moaning reminds me of my one and only surgery when I was 5 yrs old (it was to correct a lazy eye). I woke up in recovery and I was crying for my mommy. Some nurse (I assume it was a nurse) snapped at me that if I didn't stop crying I'd never see my mother again. You'd think that I would have told somebody about what was said, but I didn't. I think I was so happy when I finally did get to see my family, all bad thoughts went right out of my head. As we know from our stalking those that have gone before us, the first couple of days suck. It especially sucks if you are not taking pain meds. I agree with LD - you need your energy. Take care of yourself and hope you feel better soon.

  10. I just found your blog, but I am glad to hear that things are going ok for you after your surgery! I look forward to following your blog on a regular basis! I was banded on Feb.23rd, so I am still a relative newbie myself!

  11. you're on the home stretch!